Foreign language proficiency requirement
Foreign Language Proficiency Requirement
Most students graduating from Northwestern University must demonstrate that they have proficiency in a foreign language
Persian may not be offered every year and it should not be taken by students who are seeking to fulfill the Foreign Language Proficiency Requirement in a timely manner.
For Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, or Turkish, you will have to pass 121-3 (the third quarter of second-year) with a grade of C- or better in order to satisfy the Foreign Language Proficiency Requirement. If you want to find out whether your school has a Foreign Language Proficiency Requirement, click here.
If you wish to start Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, or Turkish and have never studied that language before, you should place yourself into 111-1 (the first quarter of
Please observe the online Placement Test dates so that you can be placed into the correct class(es).
- Deadline for incoming students to take online placement test: June 11th
- you will be notified for the first validation/reassessment session between June 14th-18th
- Deadline for late acceptance and transfer students to take online placement test: August 27th
- you will be notified for the second validation/reassessment session: September 1-3
The MENA Languages Proficiency Placement tests will place you in the appropriate language class from which you will begin work towards either fulfilling the Language Proficiency Requirement in Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, or Turkish or to continue studying to the advanced level. You will find the appropriate tests here:
- Arabic Placement Test: Take Questionnaire and Language test online
- Hebrew Placement Test: Take Questionnaire and Language test online
- Turkish Placement Test: Take Questionnaire online,
instructorwill contact you for languagetest
- Persian Placement Test: Take Questionnaire online,
instructorwill contact you for languagetest, or, contact the Director of the program, Franziska Lys (make a zoom appointment with her)
If you still have questions, would like to discuss results, need to validate your placement results, or have general questions about studying Arabic, Hebrew, Persian, or Turkish, please contact any of the following instructors below:
- Franziska Lys, Director, MENA Languages Program (make a zoom appointment with her)
Mikhaeel, Arabic Instructor
TzukerSeltzer, Hebrew Instructor
- Oya Topçuoglu, Turkish Instructor