Arabic: Student comments
Gathering information from students is a vital part of our programming. In Spring 2019, we distributed an online survey to students learning Arabic. The goal of the survey was to
- I want to learn Arabic because I believe that it is important for me to be able to communicate
with such a large segment of the global population.
- I really enjoy my Arabic class and learning the language. It is always the best part of my day
and it is very fulfilling.
- Although I struggle with Arabic due to both my schedule as well as my personal struggles with
language, I am committed to its depth and complexity. My goal is to be proficient in Arabic by
the time I graduate next year. I expect to achieve this goal however I know that this journey
and relationship with Arabic is never-ending. Deciding to study Arabic has fundamentally
changed me as a person, for the better, and for that, I am forever grateful.
- I love Arabic. It's probably the only subject that keeps me 100% interested the entire time I am
in class. The professors have been extremely accommodating. I think if the MENA department
makes the necessary adjustments to the Arabic program, it can become one of the best
programs at this school.
- I really want to become fluent in Arabic. I plan on taking classes all four years. I like the
structure of the program and trust that with its help I'll be able to achieve my goal.
- I would very much like to have an Arabic language minor. Currently, I want to take Arabic, but cannot add a MENA major due to space in my schedule, and it is upsetting that my Arabic classes do not count towards any degree. I think we should have a minor in order to ensure that Arabic without a MENA major still results in a degree certification.
- Thank you for all that you do to support northwestern students in pursuing Arabic.
ARABIC MINORAnd finally, many students told us, that they would really like us to develop an Arabic Minor so that their work learning Arabic could be counted as well.
- I would love for there to be an Arabic minor! I don't have room to add a MENA major but it doesn't make sense that I receive no degree credit for all the Arabic classes that I will be taking. Would love to have this option.